Skip to main content

UPDATES NEWS

UPDATES NEWS

and I would say the best time to feel the benefits of the environment is at sunrise.

Making the commitment to yourself, having the discipline to get out of bed, and the intrinsic motivation to meet the sunrise as it crests the horizon will make you feel alive. There will be less noise pollution and fewer people. You will be able to hear the birds sing and fee the space around you:

you will feel as though you have stolen a step while everyone else is in bed."

WHY IS IT IMPORTANT FOR MEN TO FIND TIME FOR THEMSELVES?

"There's no escaping the fact that poor mental health among men is a huge societal concern. While mental ill-health can be hereditary, it is more commonly brought on my environmental factors such as stress, pressure and isolation. Creating space for men to connect with other men goes some way to alleviating these factors. Having a psychologically safe space to communicate, share experiences.

reflect, learn and listen helps to release the pressure valve."

TO FIND OUT MORE, EMAIL DAN STANLEY ONDANOBETTER-MEN.UK OR MESSAGE HIM ON LINKEDIN.COM/IN/DAN-STANLEY BETTERMEN-COACHING

JULY 2020 9

15 MINUTES WITH.

MEN AND MOUNTAINS FOUNDER DAN STANLEY

TELL US ABOUT THE GROUP...

"We're based in the beautiful Brecon Beacons in South Wales and the concept is simple: to allow men to make a commitment to themselves once a month.

It's simply about taking time out from life by getting outdoors, having a walk and a talk, while getting some exercise. For many members, it represents a way to de-stress and regain perspective on life in general."

WHY DID YOU SET IT UP

"I have always enjoyed time in the mountains. I find it to be cathartic Space, nature, the exposure, the wilderness

- it makes me feel alive. 2018 was a particularly busy and stressful year for me and family. As I reflect back on the year in general. I felt I lost my sense of

self. I had let life get in the way' and had sacrificed the things that make me, me

At that moment, I made a conscious decision to take responsibility for ensuring that in 2019 I would be happy and healthy, both mentally and physically. Initially. I rounded up a few friends and asked if they would like to join me in meeting once a month to walk and talk. Since then, our ranks have grown and there are now over 90 active members."

WHAT IS IT ABOUT THE MOUNTAINS, IN PARTICULAR, THAT BOOSTS WELLBEING?

"First and foremost, calmness. A stunning landscape is a pleasure and not just for the senses. In nature there is less sensory information coming into the body - less noise, less distraction, less risk - so the brain can wind down and refresh.

Walking in the mountains also creates resilience. It's often said that life begins at the end of your comfort zone, but how often, in today's technologically advanced world, do we ever enter our discomfort zone? Stepping into the unknown, at the mercy of the elements and Mother Nature, is demanding but endlessly rewarding."

CAN THOSE SAME BENEFITS BE FELT WITH WALKS IN THE CITY?

"Yes, absolutely. All cities have green space

no Photo The Content Creators